Monday, October 18, 2010

Literacy Unit Plan

As I've been developing my Unit plan, which I still have a lot of work to do, I am trying to make the lessons as engaging and meaningful as possible. I am centering my unit around the read aloud time in our class. I have decided to read aloud "Bud, Not Buddy," which I am really excited about because I absolutely love this book! I think my students will really enjoy it as well. I put a lot of time in trying to decide which book to read, because I know it will make or break the lessons I do. When I talked to my mentor teacher about it, she absolutely loved the idea of reading this book. I tried to pick a text that would provide many opportunities to make meaningful connections. This book also provides a variety of themes which would potentially lead to great classroom discussions. My lessons focus on making meaningful connections, talking about the themes, and examining character traits as well as the conflict and resolution. So far, I am having trouble with my lessons on teaching conflict and resolution, because it seems as though my students don't have much prior knowledge in this area. I would love input on ways to implement this text or activities that could go along with this text. I already have a few of my lessons planned out, however, I still have more to do. I am trying to be as creative as possible, because I really want my students to enjoy this book and the lessons that go along with it. So if you've ever read this book and have some suggestions, I would love to hear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment