Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My ever changing unit plan

My original unit plan was to do a second personal narrative, as the students are working on one now. I was going to have them work on looking at themselves and seeing how even though they are all different and have different things, they are all special in their own ways. For the reading portion I was going to read things like The Sneetches, To many daves, Elmer the patchwork elephant and other books of the same type. Now I am seeing in my room how we do nothing but writing and have done very little reading work. Also I don't think that they will be done with the narratives they are working on by the time they would need to be for me to start a second narrative with them. There for I am changing gears and looking at authors and different styles as they write. I will bring in two books that were my favorite from when I was younger, "Bunnicula" and "Howliday Inn" by James Howe. I will spend the first four days of my unit reading through a good chunk of these and sharing what I like about this authors style. All the while I will be giving time to the students so they may work on a presentation related to their own favorite author. About halfway through my lessons I will keep reading to them and sharing my feelings, but I will not do as much and multiple kids will share with the group their favorite author, and passages that demonstrate literary styles they like. This is a unit that gets them reading and thinking about what their reading, and is also a very flexible unit if my CT still needs to work with them on their personal narrative, which is very likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment